July 05, 2010
Happy knitaversary to me,
Happy knitaversary to me,
Happy knitaversary, dear Grumpy,
Happy knitaversary to me!
And many more!
Time sure flies - it was about 6 years ago that I learned how to knit, but it seems like it was only yesterday! My knitting has changed so much since then. In some ways, I've gone back to basics, embracing the pure joy of knitting oodles and oodles of garter stitch and stockinette. In other ways, I continue to challenge myself, mainly by pushing the boundaries of finishing techniques.
But just as six years ago, knitting continues to be "my thing." I know how to sew and crochet, and I even fiddle with stencils and photography and jewelry-making on occasion (and lately, spinning!), but nothing holds my interest as knitting does. This brings me to the point of this post, and to the knitaversary giveaway that I'll be holding for the second year in a row!
For many years I had a 100 things about me page. I took it down a few months ago because my interests and attitudes had evolved, and the information was totally outdated. But I haven't gotten around to updating the page!
And now I'm asking for your help! Help me fill the page! What better time than one's knitaversary to reflect and update the info?!? I'm not aiming to create another list of 100 facts, but more of a Frequently Asked Questions list. Submit a question (or two, or three...) that you would like me to answer on the FAQ page, and you could win a prize!
The rules are simple:
- Leave a comment with a question(s) that you would like to see on the FAQ page. Your comment can contain one question, or two, or three. They can be related to knitting or not. The number of questions in your comment doesn't affect your chances of winning a prize.
- Each comment counts as one entry, so please, only one comment per person.
- I will randomly select 5 comments to win a prize! I know it's my sixth anniversary, but I pay for the prizes directly out of my pocket, so I can only offer 5 prizes.
- It doesn't matter whether your question(s) end up in the FAQ - each comment counts as an entry!
- Please use a working e-mail address. If I can't get in touch with you, you can't win!
- Comments will be closed the evening on Thursday, July 8th.
Comments have now been closed.
Side note: Keep in mind all the different visitors who make their way here - feel free to ask those questions to which you already know the answers if the information would be useful to a first-time visitor.
So, what are the five prizes?!? I thought of some new books which left a lasting impression, as well as old standbys that are always a hit, and came up with the following:
- A copy of 60 Quick Knits. A lovely compilation, which I reviewed here.
- A copy of Reversible Knitting, a stunning new look at the architecture of knitting, which I reviewed here.
- A copy of Vintage Baby Knits. I had to throw in something baby-knitting related, of course! In addition to containing absolutely adorable patterns (my book review here), this book is a treasure trove of sizing information, and I used it as a reference for literally every single baby knit I completed this year!
- A basic digital scale which goes up to 500 grams, and has a 0.1 gram accuracy. Of all my scales, this is the one I use most frequently!
- Two skeins of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in the winner's choice of color. Years and many pairs of socks later, this continues to be my absolute favorite sock yarn.
Each winner will have his or her pick from this line-up: if all five winners want a digital scale, I will arrange that ;). The items aren't coming from my stash or library (God forbid! No one touches my library!), so I'm very flexible.
So, good luck and thank you for helping me fill up my new FAQ page! I look forward to your questions!
P.S. You know, this is a little bit unfair: you get to do all the fun stuff - ask questions and win prizes - while I'll be left putting all the information together into something cohesive, heh :).
Comments have now been closed. Thank you so much for your questions! The most frequently asked ones are now in the updated FAQ! Winners of the contest will be contacted via e-mail.