November 22, 2009
The Wee-est Vest
My Vestvember project is complete!
Yarns: Madelinetosh Sock in malachite and Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in natural (0ns). I used a bit more than half a skein of the malachite (please note: Madtosh Sock is a big, 100-gram skein), and about half a skein of the natural (typical 50-gram skein).
I was very pleased to use up some stash yarn for this project. I picked up the malachite at a friend's destash sale about a year ago, and the natural is from Birds 'n Yarn, purchased who-knows-when for some project which never materialized.
Needles: US 1 for the ribbing, and US 2 for the colorwork, 16" circs and dpns.
Finished size: 17" chest circumference, 10.5" from shoulder to hem.
I followed the book's instructions for the smallest size, but because my gauge was a little bit tighter than recommended (about 9.25 spi and 40 rpi in color pattern), this wee vest is only 17" around the chest. Wow, I don't think I've ever made anything quite so small! This is truly newborn size, and will be perfect for a little baby born during this winter.
Though I made some modifications to the knitting instructions, I stayed true to its overall design: it's ridiculously adorable! As I mentioned earlier, I knit the vest in the round until the armholes. I also added a button band along one of the shoulder seams because the neck opening looked absolutely teensy, even before adding the ribbing. I knit the button bands and the neck ribbing as one continuous strip, working increases where the two would typically meet to create a pivot. The buttons are from the stash, and are ever-so-slightly different from one another (Shhh! Don't tell the mom! I don't think she'll be able to tell anyway.).
This was my first time working with Madelinetosh Sock yarn, and I really enjoyed the deep, saturated, and rich malachite colorway. The dye did come off on my fingers as I was knitting, and the yarn bled quite a bit when I blocked the vest. Not enough to stain the towel on which I laid the vest to dry, and not enough to visibly fade in color (though who knows what will happen after 10 additional washes). I think some of the dye bled onto the white Lorna's Laces yarn, but without high heat and a setting agent, I don't think the change was drastic. I will advise the mom against wearing this vest on top of, say, a fancy white button-down shirt (ha!), because I think it would pick up some green around points of friction, like the armholes.
I was a little bit hesitant about knitting Fair-Isle-style above the armholes, where I would be working back and forth, stranding while purling. Truthfully, it wasn't a big deal at all. First of all, we're talking only a handful of rows. Second of all, I have two words: Buffalo Sweater. Sheesh! Knitting that sweater was a challenge like no other. And I most certainly stranded and intarsia-ed on both the right and wrong sides while knitting it. A few rows of stranded purling on a wee Archie Vest?!? Psshhh! Don't even! I think I was able to maintain decent tension, and blocking helped, of course. Here's what the wrong side looks like in that area:
I think you can see here how the two yarns have no interest in sticking to each other, at all. Steeking would have been tricky, indeed.
Emboldened by this experience, I decided to tackle yet another sweater which would require stranded purling:
It's the Pod of Cetaceans Cardigan by Elinor Brown! It has wee whales! I'm close to being done, though a last-minute misreading of the instructions had me ripping back both button bands and the collar last night. Le sigh. Stay tuned for some FO pics!
To cut down on spam, comments are moderated. You may not see your comment right away, but rest assured that it's been received and will appear shortly. Comments are closed a few days after posting.