January 17, 2007
I think I first saw it on Alison's blog:
When frogging and reknitting something, I often refresh the yarn first - wind it into a skein, dip it in some tepid water, and hang it to dry. It straightens out the kinks and makes the yarn feel like new.
In some instances, however, I knit with the used yarn, kinks and all. If I'm in a rush, for example, which is the case here. Or if I'm not positive that I'm knitting the last and final iteration of the project. Unfortunately, the case here again.
Although I can tell that this beret version is an improvement over the Kufi, I am not sure I've made it pouffy enough. Try as I might, I find it really difficult to tell how the beret will come out while it's still mid-completion.
At least the increases are more pleasing. In the first version, while I was still mimicking Kate Gilbert's Speckled Beret, I increased over 3 rounds using the knit right raised increase (June Hemmons Hiatt, p. 68). In the second version, I'm increasing all the stitches in one round, as recommended in Ann Budd's The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns and Charlene Schurch's Hats On!. Furthermore, I found that a simple bar increase looks fantastic when worked at regular intervals after 1 X 1 ribbing. See for yourself!
On the left, increasing over 3 rounds using the raised increase; on the right, increasing all in 1 round using the bar increase.
One last note, triggered by today's post from June: although I've tried a variety of tubular cast-ons, I'm partial to the yarn-over tubular cast-on (Montse Stanley, p. 79). It looks good, functions perfectly, and makes sense to me visually, so I'm able to do it even without a book in front of me. Just like you, June!
To cut down on spam, comments are moderated. You may not see your comment right away, but rest assured that it's been received and will appear shortly. Comments are closed a few days after posting.