January 22, 2007
For future reference
The ridiculous spoiling of my grandmother continues.
Pattern: simple beret, embellished with a little nubbin.
Details extracted from a variety of sources (Kate Gilbert's Speckled Beret, Ann Budd's The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns, Charlene Schurch's Hats On!, research at local department stores), then chewed up and spit out by yours truly.
I will share the recipe with you, but not in the immediate future - I still have unanswered questions about this whole tam/beret business, and I have books ordered through my library to learn more. Plus, after knitting this beret 4.5 times, can you blame me for wanting to move on? :)
Needles: no less than a full menagerie of US 1 and US 2 knitting implements (Boye steel crochet hook, size 2; Susan Bates dpns, US 1 and US 2; Inox aluminum 16" circs, US 1 and US 2; HiyaHiya 24" circs, US 2).
Gauge: about 7 stitches and 10 rows per inch.
Finished dimensions: about 11" in diameter.
Lorna's Laces continues to meet and surpass my expectations - what other yarn can be entangled in mohair, knit and reknit, and still come out as good as new at the end? Plus, the semi-solid colorways are simply amazing for the kind of knitting I typically do.
I am hoping the beret has just the right volume and drape for my grandma. I definitely can't envision my grandma liking a stiff fold line, which is why I didn't block over a plate.
Last, I threaded 2 strands of thin elastic close to the cast-on to keep the beret firmly on the head. I think it makes a huge difference, functionally speaking, without altering the outside at all.
Although obtaining the proper beret shape and size proved to be tricky, I'm so glad I didn't stop until it was perfect. When it comes to my grandma, "good enough" simply won't do. I will revisit this entry every time I contemplate ripping and reknitting - sometimes the end product is worth the pain of starting over.