September 01, 2005
Woohoo! I'm still pretty excited about the release of the Picovoli pattern! Based on some feedback I read on various message boards, I feel it is necessary to spell out how the Pico differs from its predecessor, the Tivoli*.
- Unlike the Tivoli, all the sizes are written using the same yarn and gauge. I think this is quite important because I would receive at least a handful of e-mails every week asking me to clarify the gauge differences. Well, here's my response ;).
- The gauge is 22 sts and 30 rows per 4" square in stockinette, which suits a variety of yarns, including Debbie Bliss Cathay and KnitPicks Shine.
- Unlike the Tivoli, the t-shirt shape is maintained from size to size. The 3 Tivoli patterns were all different - some had wider hips, some had more square necklines, etc. Again, I would frequently receive e-mails about this, so here's my answer.
- The Picovoli provides instructions for optional picots, which address flare and possible rolling issues, something you would ask me about at least once a day with the Tivoli.
- The Picovoli is written for a wider range of sizes - to fit 30-50" busts. You know you've e-mailed me about this ;).
If you're considering knitting the Picovoli, you MUST visit my Picovoli website. MUST! It has charts and schematics and close-ups that didn't make it into the MagKnits pattern. I feel these extras are integral to a stress-free Picovoli experience, which is why I'm making them available through my own website.
*The basic Tivoli pattern is still there - just omit the optional picots ;). The picot-less Picovolis will differ slightly from the original Tivolis, but clearly in the direction of improvement.
Sidenote (in response to two e-mails I received last night): I estimate that it took me approximately 150-200 hours to work out the complete pattern for this t-shirt. This includes writing all the patterns - my own, more than a dozen test-knitters' (I mentioned only three on my blog, but there were many more in real life), and the standard one, plus knitting two t-shirts, making schematics and diagrams, website coding, taking pictures, writing tutorials, etc., etc., etc. Did I mention I don't sleep?
I need a vacation! Oh wait, I'm going on vacation! See you all on Tuesday when I come back ;).
In more upsetting news, Bloglines is ignoring my blog, again. I don't have much to say to those of you who still use that
service disservice, other than to repeat that alternate, more reliable RSS aggregators exist.