September 01, 2005
Woohoo! I'm still pretty excited about the release of the Picovoli pattern! Based on some feedback I read on various message boards, I feel it is necessary to spell out how the Pico differs from its predecessor, the Tivoli*.
- Unlike the Tivoli, all the sizes are written using the same yarn and gauge. I think this is quite important because I would receive at least a handful of e-mails every week asking me to clarify the gauge differences. Well, here's my response ;).
- The gauge is 22 sts and 30 rows per 4" square in stockinette, which suits a variety of yarns, including Debbie Bliss Cathay and KnitPicks Shine.
- Unlike the Tivoli, the t-shirt shape is maintained from size to size. The 3 Tivoli patterns were all different - some had wider hips, some had more square necklines, etc. Again, I would frequently receive e-mails about this, so here's my answer.
- The Picovoli provides instructions for optional picots, which address flare and possible rolling issues, something you would ask me about at least once a day with the Tivoli.
- The Picovoli is written for a wider range of sizes - to fit 30-50" busts. You know you've e-mailed me about this ;).
If you're considering knitting the Picovoli, you MUST visit my Picovoli website. MUST! It has charts and schematics and close-ups that didn't make it into the MagKnits pattern. I feel these extras are integral to a stress-free Picovoli experience, which is why I'm making them available through my own website.
*The basic Tivoli pattern is still there - just omit the optional picots ;). The picot-less Picovolis will differ slightly from the original Tivolis, but clearly in the direction of improvement.
Sidenote (in response to two e-mails I received last night): I estimate that it took me approximately 150-200 hours to work out the complete pattern for this t-shirt. This includes writing all the patterns - my own, more than a dozen test-knitters' (I mentioned only three on my blog, but there were many more in real life), and the standard one, plus knitting two t-shirts, making schematics and diagrams, website coding, taking pictures, writing tutorials, etc., etc., etc. Did I mention I don't sleep?
I need a vacation! Oh wait, I'm going on vacation! See you all on Tuesday when I come back ;).
In more upsetting news, Bloglines is ignoring my blog, again. I don't have much to say to those of you who still use that
service disservice, other than to repeat that alternate, more reliable RSS aggregators exist.
To cut down on spam, comments are moderated. You may not see your comment right away, but rest assured that it's been received and will appear shortly. Comments are closed a few days after posting.