May 03, 2005
Blogging in the middle of the day? Day off today! No experiments to do, so I'm staying home and TCB - taking care of business.
I really want to blog about my plant, and I feel it's most appropriate to do so in this blog. For those of you strictly interested in knitting content, scroll down.
My little palm-tree plant came into my life in the summer of 2001 when a friend brought it to me from Hawaii. I don't remember the name of the plant, unfortunately. It looked like a dried up ginger root, and the instructions (and photo) claimed that if you stick it into some soil (vertically) and water regularly, leaves would sprout and even a flower might appear. And so it happened within a few months. It was a happy palm tree-like plant for several years until I brought it to my lab and left it there for some time (1.5 years... time flies!) while moving from one apartment to another. Then all the leaves dried up and started falling off while the stem kept elongating, making the whole thing very cumbersome, crooked, and phallic-looking. A few months ago I confiscated my plant and brought it back home. This is what it looked like:
Pathetic. Pretty much dead, I thought. Not even worth my trouble. But hey, if it's going to die anyway, let me try something drastic. Remembering that the leaves sprouted just from a shriveled up stem, I thought I could repeat this miracle by cutting the stem and placing it back into soil. I got out my gardening gloves (Martha Stewart brand) (Did you even have to ask?), took a pair of old scissors, and cut the plant here:
I stuck the top part of the stem into a new pot with some fresh soil. For a while things weren't looking so good - all the leaves had fallen off. But look at my baby plant now:
It's a miracle! I think I'll have a little palm-tree plant in no time!
I've been working on my friend's scarf, the one with the most interesting texture. I got a lot of feedback from you (thank you!) and decided to bind off when I had worked a few inches without cutting the yarn, block that segment, and think about what to do next. The blocked texture of the scarf is very different from the unblocked (no surprise):
Blocked: open, lacy, drapey (CatBookMom made this word up).
Unblocked: spongy, thick, nubby, textured, earthy.
I'm going with the blocked version for a few reasons: first, even in its unblocked form this scarf won't be warm enough for Pennsylvania winters; I think this yarn is meant for a fall or spring scarf. Second, blocking increases scarf length by 36% and scarf width by 24%. I'm working with fingering weight yarn, and as much as I love the pattern, I don't want this scarf to become a Christmas present. Third, I just think it looks better, and so did everyone at my Sunday Stitch 'n Bitch. After blocking and taking measurements, I undid the temporary bind-off and continued knitting. Here's my progress:
Working on this scarf has proved to be a lifesaver. It gives my fingers the dexterous exercises they crave, and it has allowed me to forgive my Adrienne Vittadini stockinette-in-the-round sweater. Yes, it's seen the light of day once again. I'm starting to think that this working on more than one project at the same time isn't a bad idea!
P.S. Happy birthday, Mom! Mom didn't teach me to knit, but she taught me everything else in life.
To cut down on spam, comments are moderated. You may not see your comment right away, but rest assured that it's been received and will appear shortly. Comments are closed a few days after posting.