May 01, 2005
Harlotize (v.) - to meet in person and gain admiration for one Ms. Yarn Harlot, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee.
I was Harlotized on Friday when I went to see the Yarn Harlot at Circles! No big surprise because Stephanie is one of my absolute favorite knit bloggers. Because I like to pretend that I know what you, my readers, want to know, I won't bore you with details of the occasion but rather will share these interesting Yarn Harlot facts:
- Stephanie is as funny, witty, quick, and sharp in real life as she is on her blog.
- Stephanie was wearing handknit socks and a handknit cardigan.
- Stephanie was knitting a sock, on four double-pointed needles (3 in the sock, 1 in the hand). She holds her yarn in her right hand and knits in the most unusual way I've ever seen! Her hand is on top of the working needle so you hardly see it; instead you just see her wrist and the yarn flicker, very very quickly.
- Stephanie wanted the title of her book to be At Knit's End: Meditations for those who knit too much. The people in charge objected, so instead Stephanie used "he" and "she" to refer to knitters throughout the book.
- Stephanie's thebook2thebook2thebook2 (I don't know if that's how she's going to refer to it, so don't quote me) will be coming out in September.
- Stephanie signs the books with "Knit On!", which the Elizabeth Zimmermann fan in me absolutely loves!
In addition to meeting Stephanie, which was fabulous enough, I met many knitters. First, I ran into the president of my University's Alumni Club (had not idea that she knit). Then, I finally met everyone's favorite subway knitter, Colleen - we've been reading each other's blogs and exchanging e-mails for a while now. She was wearing her Spring Fling Tank - pretty and a very unique texture. Many other bloggers were there, and I will just point you to this entry on Colleen's blog for links and pictures.
If the Yarn Harlot is coming to your neck of the woods, I urge you to go to the event. She is funny, knitters are great, and you will have a fantastic time. I promise :).